"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" --Sir Isaac Newton, in a letter to Robert Hooke

Wednesday, July 17 - Flat tires and a dead fawn

Sorry that I haven't written since the fifteenth. These past two days have been so fast paced, I barely have time to stop and smell the sea.

Kristen's knees were bothering her yesterday so she ended up hitching a ride for about 10 miles to get back with us at the camp cite. Lee and I rode most of the day together. We wanted to see if we could catch a glimpse of the 2008 All-Star Game, but the day took a turn for the more exciting: We were riding on the shoulder when up ahead a packed little blue Corola pulls over. It turns out that the couple in the front seats were some of Lee's friends from Vancouver, Duncan and Georgia, who were doing a road-trip across the U.S. to Vermont. We coaxed them into stopping for the night at our next camp cite, and Lee and I met them there after going to the grocery store where we bought ingredients for a spaghetti dinner, eggs and vegetables for omelettes in the morning, and plenty of beers to celebrate.
On the way to the camp cite, Lee and I found a paralyzed fawn on the shoulder of the road who had obviously just been hit by a car. We debated wether or not we should kill it, but having not the courage to do it, we called local animal control instead.

When Lee and I finally got back, we had another great night huddled around a campfire, roasting s'mores, drinking cheap beer and wine and listening to Alan's bear stories. In the morning, Duncan pulled out his guitar and Georgia let Matt play her mandolin as Duncan, Matt and Alan plucked folk music as the crew loaded up their bikes.

Today, I got two flat tires. Luckly, Matt had let me borrow his patch kit and I was riding with Christian both times I got the flats. Anyhow, I gotta go--just stopped to eat and now I gotta get back on the road. San Fran tomorrow!

1 comment:

a boy said...

damn good to talk to you today. I look forward to reading the "California coast" chapter in a fancy hardcover someday. do come north this winter. bring skis. and keep in touch.